Tuesday, October 14, 2014

BE. STILL. [[and know]]

If any of you know me well, you know that I tend to move at a quicker pace. I like to get things done, I enjoy being productive. I think I get this wonderful characteristic from my lovely mother. 

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy this part of myself. It has gotten me pretty far in life. I am a motivated individual that likes to go after things and get things done. It has helped me in all my different jobs I have, and it encourages me in my relationships. It's a great 'problem' to have. 

For years now though, God has been trying to teach me his discipline 'Be Still and Know that I am God.' (Psalm 46:10). Here are a couple more versions of the same verse: 

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Stop your fighting--and know that I am God, exalted among the nations, exalted on the earth." 

Be in awe and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted throughout the earth.

Let go [of your concerns]! Then you will know that I am God. I rule the nations. I rule the earth.

Be Still? How can I be productive when I am being still? How am I supposed to get things done then? 

The funny thing about the questions that I have asked God about this verse is that it is all about me. It's about what I am doing, not what he is doing. Re-read those different versions. God is wanting us to experience HIM! God is wanting to reveal HIMSELF to us. He doesn't want us to do anything. 

If I have learned anything over my 20-some years on this earth is that God isn't asking me to do anything but accept His love and be in His presence. He's asking me to give up the reigns to my life and let him be the leader. He is asking me to BE STILL so that I can see His works. 

This makes me feel conflicted. I have tension in my spirit knowing that I have to learn to Be Still so that I can truly know God and his ways. 

But God granted me a tangible experience of this discipline recently. I am just about 6 months pregnant with our first little baby. It has been an amazing experience to say the least, but as I have been thinking about this concept of being still, God reminded me of something I've learned in my pregnancy. 

One of the best parts of being pregnant is the first few feelings of baby moving around. It reminds you that life is being created and that you are apart of an amazing miracle. Well for me the times that I feel baby move the most, is when I am being still and at peace. It's the times when I am not thinking or worrying about anything. It's the times where I am truly content.  It hit me just this weekend that God is just asking us to trust Him. Let go of our life so that He can give us His. 

See God is always moving. God is always working in our lives. But the question I so often ask myself is, am I paying enough attention? I am being still so that I can see God working in the nations? More often than not, the answer is no. 

So, I am learning to Be Still. I am learning to Let Go and Let God. Who knows what could happen in our lives, but again, if I've learned anything from my faith journey is that God does not disappoint. 

So let's BE STILL and KNOW! 

No comments:

Post a Comment